Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Number 2!

We've finally decided to add to our family - but we can't take this decision lightly.

Arianna's first year was VERY VERY hard on us (me more than my husband) and we don't want another preemie. I've learned alot about the long term affects of prematurity in the last year. I've learned about gestation viability and all the various medical terminology that goes with it - you know, stuff that a normal pregnant woman wouldn't have to know...

Based on my first pregnancy and my possible cervical insufficiency I want a preventative cerclage. It involves 'sewing' my cervix shut to prevent pre-term labor/birth. When I first saw my OB at my 6 week post-delivery appointment she inserted the Mirena IUD I wanted and I asked her if they knew of any reason why Arianna arrived early. She said no but next time I would get 17P shots and would be watched more closely. I asked about a cerclage and she told me that I was in pre-term labor and didn't need one.

The research I have done in the last few months does not lead me to believe that is the case. I pretty much painlessly dialated and didn't feel any real pain until I was already 4 cm! That's scary! The research I've done says a cerclage can do more good than harm in cases like mine and I want to be sure that EVERYTHING possible is done to avoid having another preemie.

So I have a pre-conception appointment on Tuesday during which I will bring all the studies I can dig up supporting my cerclage request and hope to get a referral to a perinatologist for a pre-conception appointment soon after. I have my yearly pap smear on October 25th and will have my IUD taken out at that point.

Then its party time!

0 comments: