Sunday, October 14, 2007

The 'Talk'

I saw my OB a few weeks ago and was armed with all sorts of studies and sat down in her office to talk to her. When she came into the room I was actually shaking... I was so nervous. Then she started asking me about my daughter and my worries about another pregnancy and I just broke down. I couldn't stop crying - talk about embarrassing!

Short of it is that I'm going to get the cerclage I want - she thinks its a good idea. I'm going to get 17P shots too. She doesn't think its necessary, at this point, to be referred to a peri unless there is a need. Since her office handles high risk patients and has admitting rights at the hospital she doesn't feel there is anything they can't do at this point - they'll even give steroid shots if they feel delivery could be impending. She said I'd get ultrasounds every 4 weeks after the cerclage - but I'm going to push for AT LEAST every 2 weeks, my piece of mind needs that. I'm also going to make some dietary changes, cranberry extract for UTIs (I'm prone to them) fish oil, and probiotics.

I'm really nervous, obviously. My daughter is a 3rd generation preemie and its so strange for me to be getting the SAME treatment my grandmother got in the 60s - bedrest and mag! Grandma also got DES... which may be a reason my mom had us early and there is traces of it going into subsequent generations. Its unfathomable. I was born at 30 weeks and my brother at 34 and my mom spent 2 months on hospital bed rest - on mag. My OB told me to expect the same if I have pre-term labor. You think there would be advancement there huh?

So next week I'm having my IUD taken out...

0 comments: