Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So much for that...

So today I'm my most pregnant - this was my first milestone and I'm very happy.

Now the bad news:

Yesterday I had an ultrasound (my first in 4 weeks) to check the baby's size and my cervical length. My doctor is concerned because I'm HUGE... when I say huge, I mean really big - as in full term big. As it turns out this kid is in the 90th percentile and I have an 'overabundance of amniotic fluid' - both of which put pressure on my cervix... which is now funneling and short at 2.5 cm - a loss of nearly a cm in a month. I've had an increase in discharge that I chalked up to advancing pregnancy but now realize its my cervix thinning...g.r.e.a.t.

I failed my 1 hour like I thought I would and have to take the 3 hour this weekend. A big kid and overabundance of amnio fluid are signs of gestational diabetes - so I bet I have it. My father has Type II so its not like I don't have risk factors for it.

Arianna was born at this point in my pregnancy and weighed 2 lbs. 15 oz... this kid, at the same gestation, is weighing in at 3 lbs. 9 oz! I'm paying $1000 for a doula and watch, I'll end up with a c-section because the kid is too big... oh ya, and breech... fun times.

On the bright side my OB and I agreed that the reason Arianna was born early was cervical incompetance so getting the cerclage was the single best thing I've done this pregnancy. The 17P shots are a close second because they've been shown to strengthen weak cervix. We also agreed that even if I pass the 3 hour on Saturday I should plan on following a low carb diet because this kid is just WAY too big and if it continues I'll be looking at a 9 lb baby. I won't lie to you that if I go full term I'm VERY scared of delivery. I hired a doula to do it 'all natural' and I'm scared that the size of the baby will make that very hard.

I have another ultrasound on Friday to check the cervical funnel - if it shortens more I'm on bedrest. It would be very hard to do bedrest at home with the amount of work required around the house and potty training a 2-year old and it sounds odd to request it but I'll be asking for hospital bedrest. Although I haven't been having any contractions a funnel/short cervix brings it on and I'd rather be in the hospital if that happens so it can be stopped immediately.

I just need 6 more weeks to feel comfortable... I can do that in the hospital; I know I can, I know I can...

I've made it this far - that's a reason to celebrate but I want my 'take home kid' and I don't care if I have to hang from my toenails to get it!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Hang in there!! And remember that 3rd trimester ultrasounds are INCREDIBLY inaccurate! :D

Hope baby flips head down soon!

23wktwinsmommy said...

We're all pulling for you! Please tell us how the ultrasound goes on Friday. I am sure you are scared, but you are doing the right things, and I understand why you would opt for hospital bedrest.
Hang in there, and stay in there little one!

blogauthor said...

Congrats on passing that first milestone! I'm here thinking about you and sending you extra strength:)

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know I've been following your blog and think about you daily. My daughter was born at 24 weeks and I just found out I am expecting again. I started a blog called pregnancyafterpreemie prior to happening upon yours. You are an inspiration to me and all I can say is keep up the good work and keep that baby cooking! Congratulations on making it beyond 28 weeks. I'm pulling for you!

Melissa

abby said...

Hang in there, Jen! We're rooting for you big time around here. And please let us know if there is anything you need...I wish we were closer; I'd be happy to have Ari and Hallie hang out and play while you rested.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm really fighting the urge to call my docs office today and ask for an u/s today because I'm nervous but in reality I have no reason to be concerned...yet.

Although hubby is seriously opposed to me doing hospital bedrest last night was really hard - I was to lay on the couch and simply make sure Arianna stayed out of trouble and get her on the potty. Well that was much harder to do while stuck to the couch and I ended up picking her up way too much or she'd be running all over the house while he was outside grilling hamburgers for dinner... ugh. I was in tears by the end of the night because I'm so worried that I'm over-doing it (which I know I am). I have such a hard time taking off the 'master of the household/Mom' hat.