Thursday, July 24, 2008

Still here at 33 weeks!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for not updating sooner and sorry for worrying people so much that they had to email - I hope to be better in the next few weeks. My only excuse is its really hard to type while laying down.

Things aren't much better than they were 2 weeks ago - I'm still on bedrest at home and my asthma is still really bad.

I'm on enough prednisone to kill a cat right now. Its not really helping so we added 3, yes 3, different inhalers. I'm at the highest advair, flovent and albuterol. All things that aren't great with Long QT Syndrome but I actually haven't been having any weird symptoms with all this medicine so I must really need it!

The prednisone, unfortunately, has raised my blood sugars so I'm considered a gestational diabetic and have to test my blood sugar 5 times a day and follow a special diet - do you know how hard that is to do when your on bed rest? Sigh...

My cervix has shortened a lot in the last 2 weeks also - its at 1.7 now and the OB I saw on Tuesday said they may take out my cerclage on Friday to avoid ripping through my cervix. I think this is jumping the gun - I'm not having contractions and as far as I know I'm not dilating (didn't get a manual exam this week) so why take it out? If I have shortened more I may ask for hospital bedrest because its obvious that bedrest at home isn't working too well... I'll also be asking for steroid shots regardless of tomorrows appointment. Since I've got gestational diabetes lung maturity is slowed even more and I'm at risk of delivering soon so I'd hope they'd be open to giving the baby a little boost with one round of steroids.

On the bright side this kid is still huge - 97th percentile and 5.5 lbs. already at only 32 weeks! Part of me is happy that I won't see full term because natural delivery will be really hard with a 9 lb. kid. I'll need recovery from bedrest and adding recovery from a c-section (because the kid is so big) will be awful.

So that's my update - not great, but I'm still here and baby is still baking away (oh ya, and not breech anymore! ya!)

0 comments: