Thursday, January 17, 2008

Does premature birth run in your family?

Premature birth runs in my family - I was born at 30 weeks, my brother at 34 weeks and my daughter at 28 weeks.

There is a study at Washington University School of Medicine that is recruiting people that have a familial history of preterm birth.

If you have a familial history PLEASE sign up for the study.

There are two parts to participating in the F.E.T.A.L. study:
1) Fill out a detailed questionnaire about the births in your family,
especially the premature births. We will mail you this questionnaire
with a self-addressed, stamped envelope for you to return to us at
your convenience to the address you supplied on the web site. We will
also need to send you consent forms that should be filled out for you
and your child stating that you understand the goals, involvement,
risks, and benefits of the research study, which are outlined in the
consent form and will be explained to you by a member of our research
team after you receive it.
2) The second part of the study includes collecting DNA samples from
you and your child (children) to analyze for specific genes which may
be associated with preterm birth. DNA samples can be obtained from a
saliva collection kit which we would mail to you. You can collect the
saliva samples of members of your family who wish to participate, and
then mail them back to us at the Center for Preterm Birth Research.
Regardless of whether or not you choose to provide DNA samples, we
would appreciate your participation by completing the questionnaire.
The information provided in this form will provide us with valuable
information pertinent to our study.

Please click here to learn more.

I hope you can all agree that it would give all preemie moms great joy to know they helped further the study of why preterm birth occurs and possibly find a cure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom had my 2 brothers and myself premature. I was 3 1/2 months early, weighing 1lb 6 oz. Im not sure the details of my brothers but i know that they were pretty early as well and both weighed under 4lbs. I am 35 weeks pregnant and am afraid that i am going to go early. I know that 37weeks is considered full term. I am hoping i make it to then.
Lindsey

Jennifer said...

Good luck Lindsey - you're in the home stretch, at 35 weeks the baby may not even have to go to the NICU.

Best of luck with your delivery!



Jennifer