Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Great new come-back

This story comes from a new-preemie mom and I thought she created a great story!

So a mom at the playground approaches me to ask how old my 29 week preemie is.

"3 weeks?" she guesses.

"No, 3 months." I reply.

I sit and wait for the normal look of confusion that comes over people's faces when I tell them my preemie's age. It is quite humorous. I think they wonder if I have forgotten my own baby's age.

The look appears and then I go into the whole explaination of his age, birth weight, NICU stay, blah, blah blah.

Then she looks at me through her Dolce sunglasses and asks me what has to be the most retarded question I have ever heard.

"So when do you celebrate his birthday?"

"On the day he was born."

"Even though he was early?"

"Yes, most people celebrate their birthday according to the day they were born." I am really irritated at this point by now.

"Oh, I suppose that makes sense."

Oh my God, is this conversation really happening?

Then she procedes to go on and on about her baby was a larger weight when he was born than my baby is now.

I just wanted to look at her and say " Congratulations! I guess you get the loose cooch award for the day!"


Ok, I can't stop laughing - I wish I could have used that one of the multi-tude of times comments were made about Arianna's size...

2 comments:

Cristi said...

I find it strange at how I feel compelled to explain when we tell her age. Maybe we should just let it be what it is. But the short version of our story usually comes out with her age.

liz.mccarthy said...

This made me really giggle!!! I've soooo been there!